Types of Treatment
Lymphedema Physical Therapy Baton Rouge, Denham Springs, Gonzales & Surrounding Cities
Lymphedema treatment at BRPT is designed to reduce pain, swelling, and other symptoms through a combination of special therapies and exercises.
These treatments are provided by a certified lymphedema therapist (CLT) in an outpatient setting. The earlier lymphedema is treated, the better the results.
What is Lymphedema?
Lymphedema is painful swelling of the arms and legs, generally as a result of removal or damage to your lymph nodes.
The lymphatic system collects excess fluid, proteins, and other substances (or "lymph") from the body tissues and carries them back to the bloodstream through the lymph nodes. Swelling, or "edema," may occur when the lymph increases in the body tissues.
Lymphedema is a painful condition resulting in persistent swelling of an arm or leg due to a blockage in your lymphatic system. It can be a hereditary condition, but it's most commonly the result of blockages caused by infection, cancer, and scar tissue from radiation therapy or the surgical removal of lymph nodes.
Many people who are actively going through cancer treatment, or who have in the past, have not been offered the option of seeing a physical therapist. Schedule a visit today to understand how lymphedema treatment at BRPT can help you find relief and live life to the fullest.
Signs and Symptoms
- Swelling in the arms, legs, shoulders, hands, fingers, or chest
- Aching or a feeling of heaviness in your arm or leg
- Weakness in your arm or leg
- Joint pain
- Inability to move joints as freely as usual
- Skin that feels tighter, harder, or thicker than normal in the affected area
- Indentations made by pressing a finger on the skin that take time to "fill in" after the pressure is removed, or "pitting"
If you've noticed these conditions, contact your physical therapist. They'll review your medical history and medications and perform a thorough examination to see whether or not you are suffering from lymphedema.
What to expect during your Lymphedema treatment at BRPT:
- You will be assessed by a certified lymphedema therapist (CLT) who is specifically trained in Complete Decongestive Therapy to treat lymphedema.
- Your therapist will evaluate your strength and range of motion and take measurements of your affected and non-affected areas, which will be monitored vigilantly throughout the course of your treatment.
- A customized plan will be created just for you that begins with instruction on how the program works, your specific diagnosis and how to manage and further prevent lymphedema.
- If swelling is mild, it can often be managed by compression garments, exercise, and elevation of the affected limb to encourage lymph flow.
- For more severe swelling, your physical therapist may use a number of interventions, including manual lymphatic drainage, which feels like a light form of massage and helps improve the flow of lymph.
- A session may consist of specialized massage, skin and nail care, compression bandaging, continuing education, and a home exercise program to fit your individual needs.
- Once the limb has decreased to the desired size, your physical therapist will help you begin to manage the affected area on your own through education, an exercise program, and updated compression garments.
Don’t wait. Free yourself now from your physical limitations.
Here's what some of our patients had to say
My pain was so bad it was impacting my running and making my training very difficult and painful. With their help I was able to achieve my goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon! I am so thankful to all the staff for all they did for me and making me feel like I was…
This place is amazing. The people are outstanding. I love the way they explain what to do and why and will remind you when you forget. They are kind and realize you may be hurting. They are always timely and friendly. I thank all of you.
Best place ever. I had at least 4 separate injuries/surgeries where I needed therapy for my knee and back. Each time Tyler, Seth and crew got me back on track. You can’t beat their personal attention to your specific needs.